Skip to main content

Chic and Simple Sewing Interview with Christine Haynes

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!Screenshot2011-03-16at8.39.58PM-2011-03-17-05-00.png
Screenshot2011-03-14at10.07.43PM-2011-03-17-05-00.png
Stuart Mullenberg photo

Today, Christine Haynes from Chic and Simple Sewing joins us to share more about herself, sewing tips and upcoming projects. Her amazing book Chic and Simple Sewing has become one of my favorite sewing books. March 25th we will be hosting a giveaway with the winner receiving an autographed copy of her book Chic and Simple Sewing.
Sew Spoiled: How did you learn to sew?
Christine: I was lucky that my mom was crafty and taught me to sew at a young age. I
didn’t really do it on a serious level until after high school when I
bought my first serger. That was amazing and I was officially bitten by
the sewing bug! I’ve pretty much been sewing ever since!

Sew Spoiled: What were your favorite projects as a beginner seamstress?
Christine: When I first started sewing as a kid, I tried skirts. But honestly I
hardly finished anything. In my late teens when I bought my serger, I went
a bit crazy with dresses and skirts, and that’s pretty much where my love
still is! I think beginners should try something that they love so they
have the motivation to finish the project. It’s easy to give up when the
going gets tough if you’re not in love with the picture on the pattern.
You need to want it bad enough to fight through the issues that will come
up along the way!

Sew Spoiled: Where do you find inspiration?
Christine: I find a lot of inspiration on real people, both in life and on the web. I
love traveling and watching people wear fashions in their everyday lives.
As great as editorial imagery is, I really find it so far removed from how
we really live in fashion, and that is what interests me most. I read
blogs like The Satorialist everyday and have folders of photos stored on
my computer. I also love and collect old yearbooks, both high school and
college. Again, seeing how people really dressed versus how they are
portrayed in old films is quite different. I like seeing the real life
images!

Sew Spoiled: Do you have a favorite sewing tip or accessory that makes sewing
easier?

Christine: My answer is always the same when people ask me for my favorite tools
and/or tips: good scissors and a good iron! It’s impossible to sew well if
your cut edges are not cut well at the very beginning. It’s a domino
effect and each step will be more accurate when it’s cut well in step one.
As for the iron, proper pressing can elevate a garment dramatically!

Sew Spoiled: What new projects can we look forward to? (Can you give us the inside
scoop?)

Christine: I cannot spill any beans on upcoming books, but I can let everyone know
about a couple of other things. First off, I’m very excited to be shooting
an episode of Sew It All with Ellen March for PBS. It’s for season two and
I have no idea yet when it will air, but if you stay tuned to my blog, I
promise to let everyone know when it’s on.
Also, I am teaching at the American Sewing Guild Conference that’s taking
place in Los Angeles this August. I will be teaching an all-day workshop
of the Baby Doll Dress from my book and will be teaching two lecture
workshops about sewing runway and vintage inspired fashions for the home
seamstress. I’m very excited and honored to have been asked to be part of
both the show and the conference!

Check out her site ChristineHaynes.com to find out more. Thank you Christine for stopped by and giving us some tips and upcoming events to look forward to.
Screenshot2011-03-16at8.46.53PM-2011-03-17-05-00.png
6429E12C38E1D1A63D84EB0D937554A4-2011-03-1-12-00-2011-03-17-05-00.png

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5